Academics are consistently promoted throughout chapters. National data shows Greek-lettered organization members have higher grade point averages and members of Greek-lettered organizations are more likely to complete their college degree than their non-Greek counterparts.
Grade Reports for UMD Greek Life Students.
Greek Life is a great way to become involved at the University of Minnesota Duluth. Both chapter and councils offer formal and informal leadership opportunities. Research has shown that involved college students are more likely to graduate and report greater satisfaction with their overall college experience.
|Philanthropy and Community Service
UMD's Greek Life community does a great job each year giving back. Thousands of hours of community service are completed each year alongside thousands of dollars being raised for nonprofit organizations.
High Social Standards and Life-Long Connections
Social and recreational activities provide the opportunity to meet a variety of people and to strengthen the bonds of friendship at the same time. Participation in traditional events, such as Homecoming, Greek Week and philanthropic events, demonstrates Greek unity and spirit.
8 Reasons to Join a Fraternity
- Life long relationships - It’s one thing to be friends with a few guys in your dorm; it’s completely different to develop accountability-driven relationships with men who have gone through the same process and rituals as you.
- Professional Development - Fraternities provide the opportunity to understand what it’s like to run a company.
- Leadership Development - Leadership opportunities are available everywhere in a fraternity, from organizing events to making executive decisions about the direction of the organization.
- Academic Assistance - Those in Greek life typically have higher GPAs than the campus average due to specific GPA requirements, accountability, and an environment that values excellence in all areas, including school.
- Social Opportunities - Be part of a group of men with connections around campus as well as in the professional world.
- Alumni Relations - Alumni are great resources for finding jobs and internships and are often eager to help their undergraduate brothers however they can.
- Philanthropy - Through philanthropy events like basketball tournaments or even bake sales, fraternities collect money to contribute to these philanthropies and something greater than themselves.
- Tradition - Fraternities are full of valuable traditions. All the men before you had the same standards of leadership, character, and excellence.
List adapted from MyFraternityLife.org
4 Reasons to Join a Sorority